A miniature Christmas

After our successful trip to the Christmas Kensington Dollshouse Festival recently, I was determined to clear out our spare room so I could decorate my house for the festive season.

After a few days of very hard work, the room is looking an awful lot better and tonight I was able to deck the halls, as they say. Much like in real life, I'd forgotten quite how many decorations I have...

The first job is to get the tree in position although to be honest, it doesn't matter where it goes these days as I don't use the lights. When my dad first built my dollshouse I, for some unknown reason, felt the Christmas tree should have coloured flashing lights - so that's exactly what it has.

The socket that connects to the plug on the tree

Next year I am hoping to swap the bright lights (although you can actually adjust the brilliance on them as well) for more delicate white bulbs, though I'm not sure quite how easy this will be.

I got over excited and put the fairy on first

Decorating a 1:12 scale tree when you have massive hands is no mean feat, trust me. It's worth persevering though as it does look beautiful when complete. I struggled to know whether or not to use the flash in these photos as although I want to show the detail, I also want to capture some of the cosy atmosphere.

The tree is up! 

And here it is in context (after a slight disaster with the draughts board but we won't go into that).

Ready for Christmas

I love that there are lots of details to spot in this room and am particularly fond of the sliced Christmas cake ready to eat.

Good enough to eat

It took me a while to work out where to put Father Christmas's plate of treats and then I realised this must be the fireplace he would come from so he could have easy access to the tree (where the presents would be left, obviously).

Ready for his visit

Obviously my family need an advent calendar to countdown to Christmas (cue cries from husband: "You bought them an advent calendar and not me?!) but I think the children have got over excited when opening the doors - it looks like number 24 is already open.

The countdown begins!

Down in the kitchen cook has everything under control. The turkey is ready to go in the oven (although this one was just in case of extra guests and won't be cooked) and the sprouts are ready for boiling.

Hungry? 

In the dining room the table is laid with the new centre piece taking pride of place.

Can you spot the Christmas teapot?

And again, in the context of the room.

Turkey and pudding at the same time? Why not! 

Before I turn the lights off, I always put the fronts back on the rooms so I can step back and admire it. I love peeking through the windows and imagining what's going on inside.

Who wouldn't want to go inside?
A very inviting scene

And of course, no house would be complete without a holly wreath on the front door.

Looks like it's been snowing


Merry miniature Christmas, everyone! 


Comments

  1. Wow! You've done a fantastic job there, wife. I'm still slightly bitter though that they get an advebnt calendar and we don't! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. I LOVE THIS. Look at all that. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! All your details are wonderful and warm. You have really captured the season in these shots ;)

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane - it makes me very happy to hear that as it's exactly what I was going for!

      Delete
  4. Lovely Christmas display. I love the little fairy on the tree & the Advent calendar. Such wonderful details. Magnificent work!
    Lisa
    http://miniaddictions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fairy is one of my favourite items too - she's so pretty!

      Delete
  5. It looks like a very cosy family Christmas. You have created a lovely scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. I'm glad the cosiness came across in the photos.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Choo choo - model train time!

My miniatures make the national press!

A successful miniature shopping spree